Event: Juried Art Show in Bethel, Alaska
Organized by: Kuskokwim Art Guild, Yupiit Piciryarait Museum, Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center
Location: Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center, Bethel
Dates: 1. Deadline for submissions September 25, 2015
- Notification of Acceptance October 23, 2015
- Deadline for Work Received October 31, 2015
- Opening Reception at YPCC November 20, 2015 at 7 pm
- Exhibit of objects at Museum November 21, 2015 – December 23, 2015
The Kuskokwim Art Guild, Association of Village Council President’s Yupiit Piciryarait Museum and the staff of the KUC Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center will host its first ever Juried Art Show in Bethel, Alaska in the fall of 2015. The people of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta region are eligible to enter into this event, and three cash awards totaling $1500.00 will be given out to winners by three different entities: the Judge’s Award will provide $700.00, the Kuskokwim Art Guild will provide $400.00, and the Yupiit Piciryarait Museum will award an additional $400.00 as a cash prize.
The only rules are: the participants must be a resident of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta region, and a maximum of three pieces can be entered, and each object entered must be a container that holds something. The deadline to submit entries is September 25, 2015. Participants are asked to send their objects to: Reyne Athanas c/o YPCC PO Box 1250 Bethel, Alaska. Individuals can also drop off their objects at the Cultural Center in Bethel during the work week at 420 Chief Eddie Hoffman Highway.
The ‘Container – To Hold’ Juried Art Show is open to all media (materials that are applied in the making of a work of art, skins, wood, ivory, pottery, grass basketry, birch bark, etc). All entries will be made available for sale by the Kuskokwim Art Guild, and a 25% commission will be taken by the Guild at the time of purchase. Commissions received will go toward the next show. Reyne Athanas is the point of contact, and she can be reached at 907/543-4538, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural in Bethel, Alaska.
This program is made possible by the generous support of the Alaska State Council on the Arts, the Kuskokwim Art Guild, the Yupiit Piciryarait Museum, and the University of Alaska Kuskokwim Campus.
- Reyne Athanas, YPCC Coordinator, Point of Contact for Submissions, Sponsor, Judge
- Eva Malvich (Yupiit Piciryarait Museum) Sponsor, Judge
- Saunders McNeill (Alaska State Council on the Arts) Sponsor, Judge
Juried Art Show details:
- Submission must be received by Reyne Athanas by deadline 9/25/15 at 5 pm. All art work must be for sale and a 25% commission is taken by the Kuskokwim Art Guild on all sales. Registration Cost: $30