Summary Job Goal: The Associate General Counsel, under the oversight of the General Counsel, is the primary for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, compacts, and other agreements on behalf of AVCP.
Performance Responsibilities: Include the following –
- Reviews, drafts, revises, and negotiates contracts, subawards, and other agreements for AVCP divisions, programs, and departments.
- Lead or secondary negotiator in Federal and State compact negotiations.
- In collaboration with the Contract Manager and Lease Manager, conducts regular trainings on the contract approval process and lease negotiations.
- In collaboration with the Director of Legal Compliance, monitors compliance with contracts and other agreements.
- Participates in advocacy initiatives typical to a tribal non-profit, including monitoring and reviewing legislation, preparing written or verbal testimony for consultations and listening sessions, drafting whitepapers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a strong command of general legal principles and a basic understanding of applicable areas of practice.
- Must possess strong written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work and communicate in a multi-cultural setting.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of team.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Juris Doctorate from an accredited U.S. Law school. License to practice law in the State of Alaska or ability become licensed within one (1) year of hire. Experience in non-profit, transactional, or Indian law strongly preferred.
This position is a Grade 9 and has a Salary Range of: $83,527 – $133,857
Job Posting Expiration Date: June 30, 2022
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired we may advertise an additional 30 days.