The Tribal Accountant, under the supervision of the Tribal Administrator, oversees all financial processes and data for the Tribe. The Accountant accurately processes and maintains all financial records of the Tribal Administration. Utilizing established policies and procedures and assist in the overall financial management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze the Tribal accounts to ensure compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements and adherence to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review bank and investment reconciliations and prepare accruals.
- Assist in management and monthly reconciliation of the capital asset management system.
- Assist in performing General Ledger (GL) account maintenance and monthly reconciliation of the GL and other accounting sub-ledgers.
- Generation of monthly financial statements for multiple fund, grants, and account group types.
- Assist in budget preparation, amendments, and reconciliation.
- Assist in annual financial statements and audit preparation.
- Assist in preparation of grant financial reports and revisions.
- Prepare specialty financial reports and related work.
- Responsible for working with account code structures, budgets, purchasing, encumbrances, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Work with internal controls and accounting systems.
- The Accountant keeps a complete set of records of the financial transactions of the Tribe.
- Verifies and enters detailed financial transactions such as cash journals, i.e. sales slips, invoice, check stubs, etc.
- Summarizes financial details on separate ledgers, using calculator and/or computer, records are to show monthly (reports) statistics, such as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, profit and loss, and other items pertinent to the operations of the Tribe.
- Prepares and calculates employee wages from timecards and/or other timekeeping systems. Prepares employees tax withholding, i.e., FICA, FUTA, ESC, etc.
- Prepares tax reports, and deposits.
- Balances checkbooks and ledgers. Reconcile bank statements monthly/quarterly.
- Prepares grant progress and other reports to the grant agency, i.e. State or Federal.
- Prepares financial reports, and presents them to the Tribal Council.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The position requires the ability to carry out the noted essential job duties as outlined above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of Tribal Bookkeeper.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Must be willing to work flexible hours as needed. Trustworthiness is required.
High School graduate or GED is required. An Associate’s degree or completion of an accounting certification is preferred.
Required knowledge of financial, accounting, bookkeeping and office procedures are required. Demonstrated experience in GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles is required. Governmental and Fund Accounting experience desired.
Two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting is preferred.
Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft products, Access and Adobe Acrobat. A strong understanding of internal controls including segregation of duties, required to preserve the proper checks and balances for protection of the integrity of the Tribe’s financial systems. Skilled in performing accurate and timely work in an organized and efficient manner with minimal direction. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within and outside of the Tribe’s Administration. Exercises tact and diplomacy in working with other departments and agencies.
Strong adherence to corporate policies and procedures; maintains strict corporate confidentiality.
Demonstrated skills to effectively negotiate, mediate and make decisions; proven record of being detail oriented.
Reports to work timely and consistently. Dependable attendance is an essential job function.
This position is a Grade 4 and has a Salary Range of: $46,318 – $60,161
Job Posting Expiration Date: September 30, 2023
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired we may advertise an additional 30 days.