SUMMARY: DIESEL MECHANIC for Remote Western Alaska road construction. Duties include repair and maintenance of AVCP TTP equipment fleet including, but limited to excavators, front-end loaders, dozers, graders, trucks, ATV’s, welders, etc. Additional equipment consists of equipment attachments, small engine, generators, and miscellaneous equipment. Experience with operating heavy equipment required. Willing and able to travel and stay in remote Alaskan villages throughout the construction season. The Diesel Mechanic is based in Bethel during the off season and at project locations during the construction season.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES: include the following.
- PERFORM WORK SAFELY AND EFFIECNTLY.
- Perform basic preventative maintenance, remove/install components, and attachments.
- Assist with overhauls and other mechanical repairs.
- Clean all work areas.
- Organize parts, tools, service truck, and storage containers.
- Inventory tools, equipment, supplies, containers, etc.
- Inspect yard/TTP supplies and equipment daily to identify potential loss.
- Assess equipment as needed (AVCP or Tribe)
- Grease, clean, and check fluid levels on equipment daily; or as needed.
- Monitor supply, parts, and fluids inventory; assist in managing inventory and preparing orders.
- Clean and clear debris from undercarriage on track equipment
- Service and repair welding machines, forklifts, generators and chain saws, water pumps, ATVs, and/or various other small engines.
- Prep for repairs and perform related work as required.
- Operate hydraulic hose assembly equipment.
- Assist with writing the daily reports and logs and supplied to the Project Superintendent the end of every work week.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Pass pre-employment drug screening and random UA tests. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Fluency in Yup’ik and English is preferred. Work will be in and around heavy equipment, construction environments in western Alaska villages. Must be able to travel by jet, small plane, 4-wheel ATV, snow machine and/or boat.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position is performed in outside weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. May be exposed to various types of extreme weather conditions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Must have a high school diploma or GED. OSHA-10 certified training or willing to attain within 6 months of hire. Diesel/heavy equipment mechanic degree or certification from accredited institution. Five (5) or more years of construction experience, (2) years operating experience (2) years mechanical experience in heavy-diesel equipment and repair. Experience with diagnostic software. Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, tool usage, and standard practices of heavy equipment repair and work. Considerable knowledge of the operating and maintenance requirements of various types of heavy equipment. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions. Ability to understand, recognize, learn and diagnose defects in diesel/gas powered equipment/engines. Must have experience in and knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and use it.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Alaska Driver’s license and a clean driving record as per the vehicle policies with no serious violations in the past five (5) years. OSHA 10 Certificate.
This position is a Grade 4 and has a Salary Range of: $46,318 – $60,161
Job Posting Expiration Date: May 31, 2023
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired, we may advertise an additional 30 days.