SUMMARY: The Tribal Administrator is responsible for the overall tribal management functions which encompass administration, financial management, supervision of tribal employees, policies and procedures and grant and program management. Dual supervision of the Tribal Administrator is from the Tribal Council and AVCP Tribal Services*.
*The Tribal Council shall designate a current, active Council member to oversee the work of the Tribal Administrator on a day-to-day basis. Employee oversight includes but is not limited to the establishment of working hours and work station, approving time sheets, approving leave, specifying job tasks within the more general job duties and conducting performance evaluations.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: including the following. Other duties as assigned.
- Evaluates and addresses the technical assistance and training needs of the Tribe.
- Develops and reviews policies and procedures to ensure accountability.
- Maintains uniformity in the Tribes policies and procedures.
- Reviews and approves the expenditures of the Tribe to ensure compliance.
- Coordinates training for the Tribal Council and Staff.
- Maintains contact with funding agencies and auditors for awarded grants and contracts.
- Communicates and provides financial reports and feedback to the Tribal Council.
- Manages Tribal correspondence and communications.
- Ensures Payroll taxes are filed and paid timely.
- Representation of Tribe with outside entities.
- Maintains files, such as project documents, correspondence, accounting and employee records.
- Assures that reporting requirements of contracts and grants are fulfilled.
- Assists in the preparation and completion of revision of budgets.
- Completes and provides monthly and annual expenditure reports for the Tribe.
- Pursues and manages grant funding and contracts for the Tribe.
- Provides recommendations to the Tribal Council on the terms and conditions of award agreements received from private, state or federal agencies
- Reviews and monitors the financial reporting as required.
- Provides the leadership and technical oversight to the Tribe.
- Works with the Tribal Council to address any financial, grant and/or contract issues and provides any confidential and/or sensitive projects as requested.
- Supervises the Tribal staff, which includes employee supervision, timekeeping and documentation.
- Develops and manages the internal controls and systems for the Tribe.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
The position requires the ability to carry out the noted essential job duties as outlined above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of Tribal Administrator.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Must be willing to work flexible hours as needed. Trustworthiness is required.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Public Administration, Accounting, Business or a related field is preferred. High school diploma or GED is required.
Computer skills proficient to develop and maintain an operating and reporting requirements for all budgeting, reporting and grants as required by federal, state and private entities. Must have a working knowledge of business and financial concepts and perform financial analysis as needed or directed.
Audit and Financial Proficiency:
Analytical skills; development and completion of all budgetary control, monitoring, reporting and auditing within the awarded grants and budget.
Direct experience in management of a department or unit of staff; experience in hiring, counseling and evaluating employees. Two (2) years of management experience is preferred.
Program Management Expertise:
Proven record of development, completion and monitoring of complex policy, program project, administrative and budget plans; independent and programmatic development of program goals; meets project deadlines according to the required timetables.
Knowledge of federal, state and private grants to appropriately manage the Tribe’s requirements. Ability to manage oversight of the grants from beginning through audit and review.
Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within and outside of the Tribe and Tribe Council; exercises tact and diplomacy in working with other agencies.
Strong adherence to policies and procedures; maintains strict confidentiality.
Demonstrate skills to effectively negotiate, mediate and make decisions; proven record of being detail oriented.
Superior written and communication skills; ability to develop, monitor and complete short and long range goals; consistent work in quality improvement; ability to multi-task and shift priorities; effectively develops plans, programs and objectives; effective use of time; personnel, funds for maximum efficiency.
Reports to work timely and consistently.
This position is a Grade 6 and has a Salary Range of: $56,328 – $84,492
Job Posting Expiration Date:January 31, 2023
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired we may advertise an additional 30 days.