SUMMARY: Construction grade checker for Remote Western Alaska road and board road construction. Duties
include marking, reading, measuring, and setting grade for construction crew. Willing and able to travel and stay
in remote Alaskan villages throughout the construction season.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES: include the following.
PERFORM WORK SAFELY AND EFFICIENTLY.
– Mark and read survey stake along roadway/board road right-of-way to determine grade
– Measure and set grade stake to guide earth-moving equipment during excavation and
– Observe and direct equipment operators during an excavation operation to ensure conformity
with stake references
– Utilize surveyor rod and eye level to adjust the elevation of an embankment and initial excavation
– Form horizontal stake line on embankment by measuring and staking at specific intervals
– Clean and prepare work site prior to the measurement and setting of grade stakes
– Collaborate with construction superintendents, equipment operators, and project engineers to set
and implement standards for work operations
– Utilize hatchets and chalk to set grade stakes and indicate grade specification on stakes
– Take horizontal and vertical measurements to determine the ratio of grade stake to embankment
– Verify grade specifications to notify equipment operators and construction supervisors of
– Study construction blueprints to determine the grade standard required for a fill, sloping or
– Inventory tools, equipment, supplies, containers, etc.
– Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: Pass pre-employment drug screening and random UA tests. To perform this job successfully,
an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Fluency in Yup’ik and English is
preferred. Work will be in and around heavy equipment, construction environments in western Alaska villages.
Must be able to travel by jet, small plane, 4-wheel ATV, snow machine and/or boat.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes
or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a
variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites
can be loud. This position is performed in outside weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required
to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up
to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
May be exposed to various types of extreme weather conditions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Must have a high school diploma or GED. Five (5) or more years of construction
experience, (3) years’ grade checking experience or on the job training. Ability to understand and carry out oral
and written instructions. Good observational skills, adept at monitoring excavation and embarkment grades,
and board road elevations. Eye for detail and well versed in measuring, calculating math, and setting grade
stakes according to set standards. Must have experience in and knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment
(PPE) and use it.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Alaska Driver’s license and a clean driving record as per the
vehicle policies with no serious violations in the past five (5) years preferred.
This position is a Grade 5 and has a Salary Range of: $48,981 – $73,471
Job Posting Expiration Date: September 25, 2022
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired, we may advertise an additional 30 days.