SUMMARY: The Community Development Planner is responsible to conduct initial and continuing planning efforts with tribes. Facilitating the development of the plans such as the long-range transportation plan (LRTP), safety plan, and other relevant plans for the Tribal Transportation Program. This position may require extensive travel throughout the region as needed and includes extensive work outdoors. Position is subject to Native Preference per P.L. 93-638. The Planner is a Bethel based position.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: including the following.
- Facilitate planning efforts within AVCP’s tribal transportation program such as the Long-Range Transportation Plan, TTP safety plan, and other relevant TTP planning efforts.
- Work with various village entities to identify and assess future projects and to communicate related issues and infrastructure needs.
- Work with various tribes to identify tribal priorities for their
- Work with various village, regional, and statewide entities to identify economic development and infrastructure projects.
- Work with design engineer to satisfy NEPA compliance for PS&E
- Facilitate or assist in facilitation of public meetings in accordance with TTP
- Maintain working relationships with appropriate entities (tribal, municipal, corporate, funding agencies, government agencies, ) that have a role in the planning and construction process, inventory, and mapping.
- Maintain awareness of relevant village developments, including proposed or pending local, state, federal and other agency infrastructure projects that impact the village or surrounding area.
- Assist AVCP staff and tribes identify potential funding sources and partnerships to leverage local
- Provide written and verbal updates and reports to the Tribal Council(s), Engineer(s), and Division
- Other duties as
ACCOMMODATION: The position requires the ability to carry out the noted essential job duties as outlined above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the TTP Planner.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Must be willing to work flexible hours as needed. Trustworthiness is required. This position is subject to Native Preference per P.L. 93-638.
Associate degree (A.A) or equivalent from a two- year College or technical school, or may substitute 7 years or more, direct work with a Tribe, village corporation, or municipality in Tribal or community planning and development.
B.A preferred in Rural Development, Business Administration, or a related field.
Three to five years related experience and/or training Project management (construction and/or non- construction)
Proven record of obtaining and managing grants and reporting concrete outcomes
Proven record of planning, organizing and coordinating activities.
Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment is required.
Must have strong written and verbal skills. Fluency in Yup’ik or Cup’ik is strongly preferred.
Aware of building codes pertinent to single family homes.
Strong interpersonal skills are required. Familiarity with Yup’ik lifestyles is preferred.Teamwork:
Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within and outside of AVCP.
Exercises tact and diplomacy in working with other departments and agencies.
Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently.
Plans for additional resources when needed. Sets goals and objectives.
Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
Develops realistic action plans.
To perform this job successfully, the individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software, e-mail, calendaring software such as Outlook, and Project Management software such as Microsoft Project
This position is a Grade 5 and has a Salary Range of: $48,981 – $73,471
Job Posting Expiration Date: October 31, 2023
We hope to have this position filled by date listed above, if no qualified applicant is hired, we may advertise an additional 30 days.