Innovative housing solutions to fit our region.

From challenges such as low housing inventory, the high cost of materials, to the regular leveling of homes shifted by permafrost thaw, residents of the YK Delta have long recognized the need for innovative housing, designed to fit our region.

We offer tribal members the opportunity to receive funding to assist with home repair, renovation, replacement, and new housing. Funding for HIP is provided by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Office of Indian Services Division of Human Services. According to the BIA, “HIP is a secondary, safety-net housing program that seeks to eliminate substandard housing and homelessness in Indian communities by helping those who need it most obtain decent, safe and sanitary housing for themselves and their families.”

We cover 4 basic types of housing assistance

Minor Repairs


New Housing

Down Payment Assistance

In order to be eligible for the HIP program, applicants must:

Be an enrolled tribal member of a tribe compacted with AVCP for this service.

Must be a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe or be an Alaska Native;

Live in an approved tribal service area;

Have an income that does not exceed 150% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines;

Have no other resources available for housing or down payment assistance.

 “Every family should have the opportunity to live in a decent home with a safe and comfortable living environment for their family.”

Useful Resources


Frequently Asked Questions

A: Compacting the Housing Improvement Program with other tribes allows for greater purchasing power, less administrative costs to the tribe and greater administrative capacity (through AVCP Legal, Grants & Compliance, Human Resources, and other administrative departments), streamlined processes for collecting and submitting applications, as well as licensed contractors and residential endorsements.

A:  To join the consortium, tribal councils must provide AVCP with a resolution. For details, please contact the Housing Improvement team.

A:  Staff within the Bureau of Indian Affairs use a equation which determines which project are to be funded and in which priority, based on several factors, and depending upon which category you are applying for. Eligibly can get complicated. Please reach out to our experts in the AVCP Housing Improvement Program. They will help you figure out the best way to proceed, based on your needs.

Contact Information

From Our Facebook